Lawrence Peregrines: Day 13

May 17, 2019 in In the Nest Box, lawrence peregrines

This morning the Peregrines started of the day looking forward to showers likely, mainly between 7am and 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 67. Calm wind becoming southeast around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Tonight, scattered showers, mainly before 7pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 50. Northwest wind 5 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

2019.0517.2In the morning we are starting to see the female spending more time wandering around inside the nest box, in the corner looking out, on the perch, or off for a spin nearby.  This is all normal behavior as the chicks grow in size.  She still broods them and watched over them, but the constant brooding now begins to lessen a bit.

As they approach two weeks of age, the chicks are beginning to sit upright more often, but still lean on each other, or against the nest box much of the time.  The very beginnings of wing feather development are also seen around this time. In a further look at feeding behavior, the female mostly avoids giving bones, intestines, or too many large feathers to small young.  She will usually pick up any dropped fragments of flesh.  The arrival, or return, of an adult, with food, is the signal for hungry nestlings to crowd forward and attempt to steal any prey morsels possible!

Literature cited: Ratcliffe, D. 1993. The Peregrine Falcon. 2nd ed. Carlton, England: T. and A. D. Poyser.